Tuesday, October 23, 2007

why in the world do people want to get married...seriously?

I know my title sounds funny, if you know me. I am sure the first time my wife sees the title...I may be in trouble. (A word of advice for all married guys or guys soon to be married, my wife knows I love to sleep on the couch...remote in hand. So for as long as I have been married, I have never been sent to the couch, instead she makes me stay in bed and cuddle. I'm not a cuddly type person. When they are mad at you already know the cookie jar has been put up out of your reach (you know what I mean), so I figure this is a win, win. One way I have out smarted the female species!) Anyways back to my point.
Why do people get married? When you look at the world around you. Why? The way I figure I would be set up pretty nice if I was a single guy, never gotten married. I make my choices, no obligations to anyone else. No kids, which means no crying, nagging, begging or winning. I clean up after myself, no one else to have to clean up after. My house would be spotless and so would my cars, no clutter....wow. Humm. (If you haven't figured it out by now, I am a bit OCD when it comes to some things.) This really isn't for the divorced people or the people that are single, this is really about those of us who are married and have been for a while. I believe that marriage isn't for everyone, neither is sushi, for that matter.

For me, I really don't ask the question for myself, but I ask it for my wife. I know why I am married, I snagged the first one that could put up with me. I didn't let go, she had no choice. I would still be stalking her today if she didn't marry me. I think it is easy for me to answer the question, but I sometimes ask what does she see in me?

I tend to be own worst critic...I am very hard on myself... I get very frustrated with myself... I over analyze the way I play Monopoly or any game for that matter (I suck the life out it)... I am a gracious loser, I am used to losing...I can't stand dust or dirt on anything...I can't stand a dirty car... I do not like lights on... I prefer the dark... I like to sometimes sit in front of the TV, brain dead...I do not like it when people do not dry their feet off when they get out of the shower...I hate finger & toe nails...I hate hair in the drain...Feet creep me out...I have a hyper-sensitive sense of smell...All this and for some reason she still sticks around... Why?

When it comes to that question, all the chick flicks tend to have part of it nailed down. Get your answers from Hollywood, that's what I say. It is about having someone who loves you for you. It is about having someone to talk to, someone to share things with. Not being all alone, Blah, blah, blah... That all has something to do with it, but why would you go through the rut of everyday life for some feelings? Every marriage gets in a rut. Get up, wake up the kids, make breakfast, go to work, clean house,have dinner, put the kids to bed, fall asleep on the couch...do it over again the next day. Why go through it? Just so you don't feel cold at night, or that warm and fuzzy feeling that you get every once and a while.
Everyone, from the rich & famous to the homeless on the street, is pretty insignificant. I know that hurts. The earth would not stop rotating, the sun would not refuse to shine, the moon would not quit glowing, if any one of us were not here tomorrow. It is the truth. The world would go on.
The reason people are married is that we need that other person. That person knows me better than I probably know myself. I exist to the human race, because of them. They are the witness to my life, that I actually spent time on this earth. My wife is my journal, she has had a front row seat to all the good & bad, highs & lows. The fact that someone does care about the good and the bad. God knows why we are here, but it is human nature to feel needed, and it is because of that void we need our spouse. That is why. The warm and fuzzies are just the perks to the job.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

There isn't anyone I'd rather be stuck with. I love you!

3:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home