Monday, November 27, 2006

thank you...

I started this blog as a draft a few weeks ago. Deleted the whole thing and pitched it. Thought it was kind of cheesy, with the time of year and stuff like that. After this weekend, I had an epiphany, thought to myself, "Self you need to finish that." I have several blogs that I have started and have not finished. This one just has been kind of staring at me. I was sitting in church this past Sunday, when they were talking about what you teach your children to say after someone does something for them. Which is funny, 'cause that is what my blog was about...
We coach them to say "Thank you." Every good parent does it, "Now (plug in your child's name), what do you say to Grandma for giving you that great big scoop of sugar..." Then there is part of you that is as proud as a peacock when they do it, and when they do it on their own, its like getting another Patch in Boy or Girl Scouts. Putting another feather in the parenting hat. My child says "please" and "thank you." They are so polite. It does make you feel good as a parent when this happens. Repetition is the best learning tool. Now I know these are just children, but how sincere are they? Depending on the age, but truth be told most children just go through the motions. I know if I say "Please" and "Thank you," it improves my chances of getting what I want. Wow, that must mean that those are some powerful words, if a child can figure that out. Three simple words that improve your chances of getting people to do something for you.
As adults, where and when did we lose this thing that every good parent tries to teach their children. We grow up and become adults and forget the power of these words. We get all high and mighty and think the world revolves around us. No one else has problems or had a bad day. I love to detail cars, I find it relaxing. Its my release, yard work to some or hot bath to another. I love to wax and clean cars. It takes a lot of time to fully detail a car properly. I used to like (B.C. before children) detailing friends and family members cars when they were out of town or let me borrow it for the day. I have spent countless hours of my life doing that. That fraction of a second it takes them to simply say "Thank you," makes up for all the hard work. Two words and a fraction of a second equal to the hours I have spent, doesn't seem right? But it works. I know they genuinely appreciated it. So how much more, for just the mundane tasks of everyday life. That is something I enjoy, but what about scrubbing the toilet? People do that. Not that I am looking for thanks for every single petty thing I do, but people need just a bit of appreciation in their lives.
I think of all that it takes for me to get through just one day. One single day. Think about it. Without everyone around you, your day would be so different. People you have never met, never talked to and never knew existed. Everytime I flush the toilet, turn up the thermostat, power up my computer, stop at the gas station for gas or buy a cup of coffee. There are people that work at the water and sewer plant, at the power plant, deliver fuel, open up the store and make the coffee. All before 08:00, these people have effected my life. Now if my toilet didn't flush this morning because of no water pressure, or my computer didn't turn on because I had no power. All of a sudden I realize these people exist, and suddenly they are not on my favorites list. They don't get recognized until something goes wrong.
I am just an average Joe. Nobody special in the big global scale. I just do not understand this air of supremacy that some people have. There are a lot of people that make this world operate, and we humans are not the ones that make it go around. You can be Mr or Mrs Bigshot, hold a match outside and from 1000 feet up in the sky you don't look any different than anybody else. Say "Thank you" or "Please" to someone today for even the most trivial of tasks and mean it. If I ever meet you, I hope I remember to say "Please" and "Thank You" and if I do, please understand, I actually do mean it. Children have it right. Say "please" and "thank you," writing on the walls is ok and peas are more fun to play with than eat.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

3:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home