Thursday, September 21, 2006

life at that very moment couldn't be better...

I was on my way home from Columbus the other day, and I got a call from my wife. She said that Josiah was out in the street. We live on a cul-de-sac, so traffic is not an issue in our neighborhood, but the rule is still no playing in the street. So I was a little puzzled as to why my wife was letting him play in the street. She told me he was riding his bike in circles around the island at the end of our street, and then was jumping his bike of the curb when he was coming back into the driveway. Let me preface the rest of the story by saying that I love bicycling, but since the kids, I have kind of given it up. Josiah has been practicing in the back yard. Unfortunately, the sad part is I missed his first time riding on the street with no help. I am telling you though, I couldn't get home fast enough. As soon as I got home, just Josiah and myself went outside, I sat down on the curb and just watched him make no fewer than twenty trips around the circle. Watching that was honestly better than any sporting event I have ever attended, and I have been to some great ones.

I just think it amazing how things like that can have such a strange effect on me as a parent. I have been coaching Josiah's soccer team, which has been a dream of mine since we found out we were having a boy. I find myself getting choked up a bit when he steals a ball or takes of down the field on a breakaway. For a brief second, I get a lump in my throat, shortness of breath and it gets tough to spit out any words. I get excited for him. I can remember what it was like riding my bike with no training wheels for the first time (without getting hurt) and scoring my first goal in soccer. It is just great to see your kids have the same experiences. I am sure when Josiah scores his first goal, I will be letting everyone know about it. If he doesn't, it doesn't matter, but I am sure I will still get that lump in my throat.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home